Is Your Skin Barrier Damaged?
WHAT IS THE SKIN BARRIER?
The skin barrier, (epidermal barrier) is the outside layer of your skin—the first line of defense that protects your skin from environmental aggressors.
- maintain your skin’s moisture balance
- prevent invasion of bacteria and microbes
- reduce effects of UV light (minimize wrinkle)
- reduce effects of oxidative stress (antioxidant barrier)
HEALTHY SKIN BARRIER
DAMAGED SKIN BARRIER
IS IT DAMAGED?
IS YOUR SKIN EXPERIENCING...
CAUSES OF DAMAGE
There are two factors that contribute to the damage of your skin barrier:
1. EXOGENOUS FACTORS
- harsh skincare actives
- exposure to irritants (bacteria, pollution, etc.)
- over exfoliation
- over cleansing (strips off skin’s natural oils)
- excessive UV exposure
2. ENDOGENOUS FACTORS
- age (skin thins out)
- underlying skin conditions
THE DO'S AND DONT'S
OF CARING FOR YOU SKIN BARRIER
REMEMBER YOUR BASICS: Listen to your skin and give it only what it needs!
MOISTURIZE RELIGIOUSLY: Look for products with ceramides, glycerin, and other lipophilic agents to restore moisture.